- Once the 2007, the newest express of evangelical Protestants just who pick that have Baptist denominations features shrunk out-of 41% so you can thirty six%. Meanwhile, new show from evangelicals identifying which have nondenominational places of worship has grown off 13% in order to 19%.
- New Joined Methodist Church (UMC) remains the prominent denomination inside mainline Protestant culture. Currently, 25% from mainline Protestants select to the UMC, down quite away from twenty eight% for the 2007.
- More half dozen-in-ten people in brand new historically black colored Protestant community identify with Baptist denominations, also 22% who choose into Federal Baptist Conference, the biggest denomination within the over the years black colored Protestant heritage.
- Brand new show of your public pinpointing having religions other than Christianity has exploded regarding cuatro.7% from inside the 2007 to help you 5.9% inside 2014. Increases had been most noticable among Muslims (whom accounted for 0.4% off participants from the 2007 Religious Surroundings Data and you may 0.9% in the 2014) and you may Hindus (0.4% from inside the 2007 compared to. 0.7% when you look at the 2014). several
- More or less one-in-eight participants regarding the the fresh survey (15%) was basically born outside of the You.S., and two-thirds ones immigrants was Christians, and additionally 39% who happen to be Catholic. More than one-in-ten immigrants choose having a non-Christian trust, eg Islam otherwise Hinduism.
- Hindus and Jews will always be many highly knowledgeable spiritual way of living. Totally 77% of Hindus try college graduates, since the is actually 59% away from Jews (weighed against twenty-seven% of all of the You.S. adults). These communities supply significantly more than-average household profits. Completely forty-two% out-of Jews and you may thirty-six% of Hindus state the yearly loved ones income is higher than $one hundred,one hundred thousand, compared with 19% of one’s social overall.
Additionally summarizes habits from inside the spiritual changing
This is actually the earliest summary of findings regarding the 2014 You.S. Spiritual Land Studies, the brand new centerpiece where is a nationwide user mobile survey of 35,071 people. This is basically the 2nd day the fresh Pew Browse Center keeps conducted a religious Landscape Study. The initial try presented into the 2007, and additionally with a telephone questionnaire of greater than thirty-five,100 People in america.
- To include an in depth account of your size of the newest spiritual groups you to definitely populate the newest U.S. landscape;
- To describe this new market characteristics, faith and you can methods, and you can public and you may governmental viewpoints of those religious groups; and you can
- So you can file how the spiritual profile of the U.S. has evolved once the first investigation try presented into the 2007. With over thirty five,100 interviews for each and every, both the 2007 and you will 2014 research has margins regarding error off below that percentage part, making it possible to pick actually seemingly short alterations in spiritual groups‘ share of the U.S. inhabitants.
S. religious organizations, plus its median ages, racial and you will cultural makeup, nativity analysis, knowledge and you may income account, gender rates, relatives structure (as well as religious intermarriage cost) and you will geographic distribution
The outcomes of the 2014 Religious Surroundings Research was wrote from inside the a series of reports over the coming year. Which earliest statement focuses on the fresh changing religious structure of U.S. and you may makes reference to the fresh new group functions out of U.
At the same time, that it report is sold with a keen appendix one compares the newest conclusions of the 2007 and you can 2014 Spiritual Surroundings Degree with many different other studies and you can assesses exactly how recent improvements during the Western religion squeeze into lengthened-name trend. Research away from many different national surveys, for instance the enough time-running General Public Survey and you may Gallup polls, concur that Protestants have been decreasing once the a portion of your You.S. population which the unaffiliated have been increasing. But there is less of a consensus on trend during the Western Catholicism. Particular surveys, including the one looked in this declaration, imply that this new Catholic share of populace are declining, while others highly recommend it’s relatively secure or could have refuted and then ticked back up recently. (Select Appendix C.)